Friday, September 4, 2009
custom made canvas art
i have struggled with wall art more than once. whether it is a huge empty space on a huge empty wall, or whether it is above a bed where they say not to keep art. fortunately, i just recently heard about canvas art. it is easy... no sewing! and it only takes minutes to complete one. i have found that custom made canvas art is a great alternative when you don't want to buy expensive art work, or when you need a safe and soft piece to hang above your childs sleeping head. and with the diversity of today's fabric, it will look great in the family room, a play room, a bathroom... anywhere!
what you need:
1. your local craft store carries different sizes of stretch canvas sides - you choose your dimensions by how big each side is. they run from .70 - $3.00 depending on how big you want to go.
2. fabric - again, the amount will really depend on what size you want, and how many you want.
3. staple gun
1. cut your fabric 2 inches wider and longer than your stretch canvas sides, thus leaving a 1 inch margin around the frame
2. pull the fabric around the frame, and secure with staple gun. fold the corners in as if you were wrapping a present, and secure with staple gun.
3. optional- you can add embellishments if you'd like. i have also seen people use a stencil, and paint a pattern on top of their fabric.
submitted by stacy